Saturday, January 31, 2009

Names for Rebecca

Rebecca is a sister of my good friend Emilie. My husband and Rebecca were both in Emilie's wedding many years ago. Rebecca and her husband have a little girl named Charlotte Elizabeth and they are awaiting a surprise in March. Some names they like are Ella Ruth, Molly Louise and Lillian Louise. Those names definitely flow with Charlotte Elizabeth which follows the formula of old-fashioned + classic. Yes, I think of formulas for names. My kids have biblical/classic + ethnic and surname + biblical.

For inspiration I researched Charlotte and took note of the name's journey though babynaming history. I started in 1880 and watched it move over the decades, peaking in the 1940s at 59 and sinking in the 1980s to 299. It has been a constant name and it's one of my favorites. Charlotte's Web is a favorite book around here.

I also used nymbler and babynames.com to find some additional boy names by meaning. I think the boy names would all work well with a classic like Thomas, James, William, etc. I'm not usually a fan of people using the same letter but C is an exception since you could have a Charlotte and a Caroline and the alliteration isn't there.

Girl names:
Alice
Amelia
Anna
Anne
Audrey
Catherine
Eleanor
Eliza
Eva
Evelyn
Genevieve
Georgia
Jane
Jocelyn
Josephine
Joy
Lola
Lucy
Margaret
Norah
Penelope
Ruby
Theresa
Vanessa
Viola
Violet
Vivan

Boy names:
August
Chester
Cole
Cooper
Dawson
Edward
Everett
Forrest
Garrett
Greyson
Henry
Jack
Julian
Keaton
Leo
Lewis
Maxwell
Oliver
Preston
Stephen
Stuart
Theodore
Vincent
Wesley

I like to search by meaning sometimes on the babynames.com site--that's actually how we found Bennett. I looked up names that meant 'blessed' and it popped up and we both liked it. So I played around a bit for you.

Love:
Conner
Davis
Gallagher
Madan/Madden

Small (wee tiny baby small):
Knox
Paul
Vaughn

Dark:
Blake
Duncan
Kieran
Morris
Sullivan

That's how I settled on Ciaran for James' middle name, it means 'little dark one' in Gaelic and he had a ton of black hair. We didn't have a name for him until he popped out. The morphine had kicked in as well so I consented to a family name as long as he could get a good old fashioned Gaelic middle name like mine (I'm a Moira).

Happy naming!!